ISAAC ELISHAKOFF is the Distinguished
Research Professor in the Department of Ocean and Mechanical Engineering
at Florida Atlantic University. He also teaches in the mathematics
department there. From 1972 to 1989 he was a faculty member of the
Technion, Israel Institute of Technology, where he became a professor of
aeronautical engineering in 1984. He is a Member of the European Academy
of Sciences and Arts, a Foreign Member of the Georgian National Academy
of Sciences, a Fellow of the American Academy of Mechanics, a Fellow of
the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, and a Fellow of the Japan
Society for the Promotion of Science. He is an associate editor of four
international journals and general advisory editor of Elsevier Science
Publishers in Oxford, England.
Dr. Elishakoff is the author or co-author of the
following nine monographs:
(1) I. Elishakoff, Probabilistic Theory of
Structures, Wiley-Interscience, New York, 1983, XII + pp. 489 (second
edition: Dover Publications, Mineola, New York, 1999 XVI + pp. 492).
(2) Y. Ben-Haim and I. Elishakoff, Convex Models of
Uncertainty in Applied Mechanics, Elsevier Science Publishers,
Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1990, XVII + pp. 221.
(3) G. Cederbaum, I. Elishakoff, J. Aboudi and L.
Librescu, Random Vibrations and Reliability of Composite Structures,
Technonic Publishers, Lancaster, PA, 1992, X + pp. 196.
(4) I. Elishakoff, Y. K. Lin and L.P. Zhu,
Probabilistic and Convex Modeling of Acoustically Excited Structures,
Elsevier Science Publishers, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1994, VIII +
(5) I. Elishakoff, Y. W. Li and J. H. Starnes, Jr.,
Nonclassical Problems in the Theory of Elastic Stability, Cambridge
University Press, Cambridge, 2001, XVI + pp. 336.
(6) I. Elishakoff and Y. J. Ren, Large Variation
Finite Element Method for Stochastic Problems, Oxford University Press,
2003, IX + pp. 260.
(7) I. Elishakoff, Safety Factors and Reliability:
Friends or Foes?, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The
Netherlands, 2004, + pp. 296.
(8) I. Elishakoff, Eigenvalues of Inhomogeneous
Structures: Unusual Closed-Form Solutions, CRC Press, Boca Raton, 2004,
XVII + pp. 720.
(9) I. Elishakoff and M. Ohsaki, Optimization and
Anti-Optimization of Structures under Uncertainty, Imperial College
Press, London, 2010, XV + pp. 402.
(10) I. Elishakoff, D. Pentaras, K. Dujat, C. Versaci,
G. Muscolino, J. Storch, S. Bucas, N. Challamel, T. Natsuki, Y.Y. Zhang,
C.M. Wang and G. Ghyselinck,Carbon Nanotubes and Nanosensors :
Vibrations, Buckling, and Ballistic Impact,” ISTE-Wiley, London, 2012,
He also edited or co-edited the following 14 volumes,
published by leading publishing houses in the USA and Europe:
(11) I. Elishakoff and H. Lyon, (eds.), Random
Vibration - Status and Recent Developments, Elsevier Science Publishers,
Amsterdam, 1986, XX + pp. 565.
(12) I. Elishakoff and H. Irretier, (eds.), Refined
Dynamical Theories of Beams, Plates and Shells, and Their Applications,
Springer Verlag, Berlin, 1987, XII + pp. 436.
(13) I. Elishakoff, J. Arbocz, Ch. D. Babcock, Jr.
and A. Libai, (eds.), Buckling of Structures-Theory and Experiment,
Elsevier Science Publishers, Amsterdam, 1988, XX + pp. 449.
(14) S. T. Ariaratnam, G. Schuëller and I. Elishakoff,
(eds.), Stochastic Structural Dynamics-Progress in Theory and
Applications, Elsevier Applied Science Publishers, London, 1988, XX +
(15) C. Mei, H. F. Wolfe and I. Elishakoff, (eds.),
Vibration and Behavior of Composite Structures, ASME Press, New York,
1989, V + pp. 73.
(16) F. Casciati, I. Elishakoff and J. B. Roberts,
(eds.), Nonlinear Structural Systems under Random Conditions, Elsevier
Science Publishers, Amsterdam, 1990, VII + pp. 386.
(17) D. Hui and I. Elishakoff, (eds.), Impact and
Buckling of Structures, ASME Press, New York, 1990, V + pp. 99.
(18) A. K. Noor, I. Elishakoff and G. Hulbert,
(eds.), Symbolic Computations and Their Impact on Mechanics, ASME Press,
New York, 1990, XV + pp. 376.
(19) Y. K. Lin and I. Elishakoff, (eds.), Stochastic
Structural Dynamics – New Theoretical Developments, Springer, Berlin,
1991, XIII + pp. 346.
(20) I. Elishakoff and Y.K. Lin, (eds.), Stochastic
Structural Dynamics – New Applications, Springer, Berlin, 1991, XIII +
(21) I. Elishakoff (ed.), Why’s and How’s in
Uncertainty Modeling, Springer, Vienna, 1999 VI+ pp. 393.
(22) A. P. Seyranian and I. Elishakoff (eds.), Modern
Problems of Structural Stability, Springer, Vienna, 2002, IV + pp. 394.
(23) I. Elishakoff (ed.), Mechanical Vibration: Where
Do We Stand?, Springer, Vienna, 2007, IV + pp. 488.
(24) I. Elishakoff and C.Soize (eds.),
Nondeterministic Mechanics, Springer, Vienna, 2012.
Elishakoff is composing monograph titled “Resolution of 20th Century
Conundrum in Elastic Stability.”